How can we make your day easier?
Frequently Asked Questions
Courses & Enrollment
We offer graduate-level, continuing education courses for K-12 teachers for re-certification, state licensure, salary schedule/lane advancement, or other professional development needs.
NOTE REGARDING LICENSURE: If you are a teacher already in the classroom needing to get your Professional Certificate, please be aware that each state and educational district has its own guidelines and rules. It is your responsibility to make sure that our courses legally fulfill your school’s requirements for Professional Certification.
Graduate Credit courses are offered in association with our seven CAEP and regionally accredited university partners: Andrews University, Avila University, Concordia University – St. Paul, Greenville University, Medaille College, and William Jessup University. Loyola Marymount University offers graduate-level, professional development courses. Upon successful completion of a graduate credit course, learners will receive an official university transcript from the chosen partner.
Continuing Education courses are offered either:
- In partnership with the University of West Alabama for clock/contact hours or CEUs
- Additionally, Advancement Courses is directly pre-approved by the respective state departments of education to provide:
Credit type should be chosen based on your professional needs and state/district requirements.
Graduate Credit courses are offered in association with our CAEP and regionally accredited university partners. Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a letter grade and will be able to request and order a transcript (view sample transcript) directly from the partner institution of your choice. Each semester hour of graduate credit requires 15 hours of coursework.
Continuing Education courses are graduate-level courses offered to fulfill continuing education requirements. Because requirements differ by state and district, please select your state on our Where We Count page for more detailed information.
If you are uncertain, please be sure to verify that your credit selection will be approved by your governing body prior to registration. Tuition is non-refundable if your governing body does not approve your enrolled courses.
If you already hold a Master's Degree, but are seeking a pay advancement with our courses, we advise you select the Graduate Credit option.
Collaboration and engagement in course discussions with peers and in-practice application of course concepts are expected in both Grad Credit and Continuing Education courses. However, these elements are required in the Grad Credit courses to better align with higher education accreditation standards and the Carnegie Unit System. It is for these reasons that the activity packets are no longer linked inside of the Grad Credit coursework. For more information, please view the course experience videos for Grad Credit and Continuing Education courses.
We recommend you review the types of credits, number of credits or courses allowed, and the semester dates per partner institution to determine which is best for your needs. For more information about the university partners, please visit our University Partners page.
Andrews University: These are graduate credits that can be petitioned into a degree program if the student decides to pursue higher education at Andrews University.
Avila University: These are graduate credits and are degree eligible as an approved elective for the M.A. in Education in Teaching & Learning at Avila.
Greenville University: These are graduate credits and are degree eligible as an approved elective for M.A. in Education programs at Greenville.
Concordia University, St. Paul: These are graduate credits and are degree eligible as an approved elective for the following M.A. in Education programs at CSP: Differentiated Instruction, Early Childhood Education, Educational Leadership and Educational Technology.
Loyola Marymount University: These are graduate-level, professional development courses indicated as Continuing Education/Professional Development on University transcripts.
Medaille College: These are graduate credits and a university transcript is available upon completion of the course.
William Jessup University: These are graduate credits that may be applied to the Master of Arts in Education degree at Jessup.
It is recommended that you verify credit acceptance with any university at which you would like these credits to apply.
All of our graduate credit courses are offered for semester hours in accordance with our university partners.
Advancement Courses provides the option of taking continuing education credit courses for CEUs or Clock Hours through the University of West Alabama. While there is no difference in the course experience and these options hold equivalent value based on the instructional hours of the course, individual districts and state governing bodies may require a specific credit type be referenced on any transcript/completion certificate. Please check our Where We Count page or inquire within your district to see whether CEUs or Clock Hours would work best for you.
While we have helped thousands of educators across the country and in all 50 states, each school, district, and state governing body has its own set of rules regarding salary schedules, licensure and re-certification, so please seek approval prior to registering for a course to verify acceptance. Tuition is non-refundable if your governing body does not approve your enrolled courses.
Our courses are available for purchase online or by phone.
You can order any course directly through our website – 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
To enroll by phone, call us at (800) 762-0121 Monday-Friday from 8:00am – 4:30pm ET.
Based on your specific course, you will receive your course materials in the mail or electronically within 7 business days of enrollment.
You have six months from your enrollment/purchase date to complete your course unless you are taking NYC P/A+ Credit courses. Our courses are self-paced, so you may work on your coursework whenever it is convenient for you as long as you complete the entire course within six months.
* For NYC P/A+ Credit courses, please visit the NYC page for current semester end dates.
Each graduate-level credit is equivalent to 15 hours of in-class work and 30 in-practice hours.
- 1 credit: 15 hours + 30 in-practice hours
- 2 credits: 30 hours + 60 in-practice hours
- 3 credits: 45 hours + 90 in-practice hours
As a reminder, our courses are self-paced, and you have up to 6 months to complete. Course completion timeframes are based on the learner’s ability to invest the identified amount of time into the course which includes direct instruction (online equivalent) and practice hours.
All Graduate Credit courses receive letter grades and a “B” or higher is necessary to receive credit. If your course deadline has passed and you have not submitted your work for review:
- Andrews University: Andrews does not record any courses that aren't completed. They will not show up on the transcript.
- Avila University: Avila does not record enrollments for Non-Complete Courses.
- Greenville University: Greenville leaves the courses not completed marked as NR which stands for "Not Recorded."
- Loyola Marymount University: LMU records not completed courses as NC for "Not Completed."
- Medaille College: Medaille records not completed will be recorded as an "F."
- William Jessup University: Jessup records not completed will be recorded as an "F."
For Continuing Education courses, grading is Pass/Fail. Pass means that you have successfully completed the course with a grade equivalent to a B or higher.
- Andrews University (located in Michigan)
- Up to 5 courses (any number of credits) may be graded in a semester. The semester is determined by the date your grade is recorded by Andrews University, which is usually 7-10 business days after receipt of your grade from Advancement Courses.
- Semester Dates for 2019:
Spring: 1/07/19 – 5/12/19
Summer: 5/13/19 – 8/25/19
- Avila University (located in Missouri)
- Up to 6 credits may be graded in a semester. The semester is determined by the date your grade is recorded by Avila University, which is usually 7-10 business days after receipt of your grade from Advancement Courses. NOTE: If a grade is submitted to the partner institution between the specific semester dates listed below, the grade will be recorded in the closest semester. If you need a grade submitted in a specific term, please plan ahead!
- Summer: 6/3/2019 - 8/15/2019
Fall: 8/21/2019 - 12/14/2019
- Greenville University (located in Illinois)
- There is no limit to how many courses or credits you may enroll in or have graded at Greenville University.
- Concordia University, St. Paul (located in Minnesota)
- There is no limit to how many courses or credits you may enroll in or have graded at Concordia University, St. Paul.
- Loyola Marymount University (located in California)
- You may enroll in up to 15 credits per semester. The semester is determined by the purchase/enrollment date of your course.
- Semester Dates for 2019:
Spring: 1/1/2019 - 5/14/2019
Summer: 5/15/2019 - 8/31/2019
Fall: 9/1/2019 - 12/31/2019
- Medaille College (located in New York)
- There is no limit to how many courses or credits you may enroll in or have graded at Medaille College.
- William Jessup University (located in California)
- There is no limit to how many courses or credits you may enroll in or have graded at William Jessup University.
Payment & Fees
There are no additional fees at Advancement Courses! The course price includes credits, materials, and shipping.
We require full payment at the time of enrollment, so there is no option to pay later. If you have a Purchase Order from your school or district, please call us at (800) 762-0121 to receive instructions on how to complete the enrollment process.
Group discounts are available from Advancement Courses* in varying tiers, depending on the size of your group, as follows:
- Groups of 1-4 people can receive 15% off their next purchase with a one-time discount code.
- Groups of 5-9 people can receive 20% off their next purchase with a one-time discount code.
- Groups of 10+ people can receive 25% off their next purchase with a one-time discount code.
You can begin the Group Discount inquiry process by visiting our Group Discount page at https://www.advancementcourses.com/group-sales/ and filling out the form.
* Note: Group discounts are not available for NYC/ASPDP. Group discounts are not valid on prior purchases and cannot be combined with any other discounts. The discount is taken off each item in the order at the time of purchase and can be applied to multiple courses.
Exchanges, Drops, & Transfers
Courses may be exchanged for another with the same list price and credit amount. In the event of an exchange, the original start date ("date of the course order’) and end date (six (6) months from course order) will remain. The first exchange for each course can be processed without fees or charges as long as the credit types are the same. Additional exchanges for the same order are subject to a $30.00 exchange fee. Courses submitted for grading are not eligible for exchange.
If you are not satisfied with your course, you may request to drop the course up to 30 calendar days from the date you enrolled. All dropped courses are subject to a $30.00 fee. Courses submitted for grading cannot be dropped.
Graduate Credit or Continuing Education courses that have been (1) started, (2) submitted for grading, or (3) graded may be eligible for transfer between Advancement Courses University Partners, subject to University Partner approval. In order to be transfer eligible, the courses must contain the same list price and eligible credits. Course transfer requests for courses that have been started but not completed are eligible for transfer at no fee. All course transfer requests for courses that have been submitted for grading or have received a grade are subject to a $75.00 course transfer fee.
Note: Learners may transfer from a Continuing Education course to a Grad Credit course, but you will be required to pay the difference in price between the two courses as well as complete additional coursework to ensure all graduate credit requirements are met. If you have already submitted coursework in the Continuing Education course, you will be required to download all of your completed work prior to being enrolled in the Grad Credit course.
Completing & Submitting Your Course
You have six months from your enrollment/purchase date to complete your course. You can submit your coursework at any time before your enrollment expires. For NYC, you must complete the course by the last day of the semester. You can find semester dates here.
Why am I required to wait for feedback and a grade on certain assignments before I can progress in Grad Credit courses?
Since the culminating project of each course provides you a way to test your goals through a scaffolded summative assessment, it is vital to be provided feedback and to utilize that feedback along the way to refine your projects as you progress through the course. Advancement Courses wants to ensure you have been provided feedback and a grade on each checkpoint activity before you move on to submit the next one. We strive to get this to you as quickly as possible, but we also want to give your work the time and attention it deserves. You are still able to see the directions and rubrics of the future course assignments, as you compile feedback to inform improvements of your final project.
Your course is due 6 months from your purchase/enrollment date. Please refer to the order summary email you received to determine your purchase/enrollment date. For NYC, you must complete the course by the last day of the semester. You can find semester dates here.
If you need additional time, please call us in advance at (800) 762-0121 or email us at email@example.com to request a 1-month extension. Extensions are not available for NYC courses.
For your final project, you may use either MLA or APA. As long as you maintain consistency in your formatting, you can choose the style with which you are most comfortable.
Grading & Transcripts
- You will finish and submit your coursework within the eClassroom.
- Allow approximately 5-10 business days to receive instructor feedback and grading (turnaround time may vary depending upon enrollment and time of year).
- You will receive a “Letter of Completion” email when your coursework has been graded. The letter of completion will contain detailed instructions on how to request your transcript or certificate from the partner you have chosen.
Depending on your credit choice, you’ll either receive a transcript/certificate of completion or request an official graduate transcript from the university partner you selected. Transcripts can take up to 10 business days to receive. If you have a deadline for submission, we encourage you to please complete and submit your coursework well in advance of your deadline to ensure that you will be able to order and receive your transcripts in time.
- Andrews University: Advancement Courses will submit your final grade to Andrews University within 5 business days of the grade date. Grades are recorded by the university registrar within 10 business days of receiving the grade from Advancement Courses. You will receive grade confirmation via email from Andrews University once the grade is recorded and ready for transcript requests. The grade confirmation email will contain the Student ID you will need to request your transcript. Please monitor your spam account if you have not received this email. Once recorded, you may request transcripts by submitting the request by following the instructions on this site: http://www.getmytranscript.com/.
- Avila University: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion with transcript request instructions. Within 5 business days of your grade date, we will send your grade to Avila University. Avila will input your grade into their system in 7-10 business days. Transcripts are ordered online through Avila’s Transcript Ordering Center (found here) or by fax or mail. Additional information and FAQs on Avila transcripts, consent forms, and fees can be found here.
- Greenville University: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion and submit your grade to Greenville University. The University will then send a notification to you via email within 10 business days containing instructions on how to request your transcript. Transcripts are ordered through Greenville’s Transcripts Plus site (found here). If you have used Transcripts on Demand previously, use your existing email and password to login. New users will need to sign up for an account. Additional information and FAQs on Greenville transcripts, consent forms, and fees can be found here.
- Concordia University, St. Paul: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion with transcript request instructions. Within 5 business days of your grade date, we will send your grade to Concordia University, St. Paul. CSP will input your grade into their system in 7-10 business days. Transcripts are ordered online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Additional information and FAQs on CSP transcripts and processing details can be found here.
- Medaille College: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion with transcript request instructions. Within 5 business days of your grade date, we will send your grade to Medaille College. Medaille will input your grade into their system in 7-10 business days. Transcripts are ordered online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Additional information and FAQs on Medaille transcripts and processing details can be found here.
- Loyola Marymount University: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion with transcript request instructions. Within 5 business of your grade date, we will send your grade to LMU. LMU will input your grade into their system in 5-10 business days. You will need your University student ID located on your letter of completion to request your transcript. Follow the included instructions for the most current information on accessing your grade via the LMU student portal (PROWL) where you will be able to review your unofficial transcript and then request the official transcript. For more information, click here.
- University of West Alabama: Once your course is graded you will receive a letter of completion from Advancement Courses. Within 5 business days of your grade date, we will send your grade to the University of West Alabama. Upon receiving your grade, UWA will send a certificate of completion via email within 5 business days.
- William Jessup University: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion with transcript request instructions. Within 5 business days of your grade date, we will send your grade to William Jessup University. Jessup will input your grade into their system in 7-10 business days. Transcripts are ordered online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Additional information and FAQs on Jessup transcripts, consent forms, and fees can be found here.
Alabama Clock Hours
Each course is 50 Clock Hours through the University of West Alabama.
You will receive a Pass/Fail grade. Pass means that you have successfully completed the course equivalent to a B or higher.
Upon the completion of your course, your coursework will take 1-2 weeks to grade. You will receive an email confirming your completion at the end of those 2 weeks which will include your grade date. Within 1 week of this grade date your grade will be sent to the University of West Alabama.
Please note in order for The University of West Alabama to log your clock hours in Chalkable, you must register for the course in Chalkable prior to receiving your grade. Failure to enroll in Chalkable will delay clock hour reporting. Please note that Chalkable must be accessed with Internet Explorer or Firefox. Contact your PD Manager if you have questions or concerns regarding this process. If registered, the University of West Alabama will submit your grade into Chalkable within 5 business days of receipt from Advancement courses.
New York State CTLE
Each course equals 45 CTLE Clock Hours.
Our NYC ASPDP courses are worth 36 clock hours.
Advancement Courses is an approved sponsor of the New York State Education Department’s 100 hours of Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE) requirements. New York teachers can select either the Graduate Credit or Continuing Education credit option to receive their CTLE clock hours.
- Graduate Credit: Choose any of our CAEP and/or regionally accredited graduate credit partners when selecting a course and gain the semester hours of credit. Each (1) graduate credit also equals 15 CTLE clock hours.
- Continuing Education: Select the Continuing Education and 45 CTLE hour options for any of our courses. Advancement Courses is a pre-approved provider of CTLE requirements.
Upon receiving your letter of completion, you will receive another email notification with the credentials to access all of your CTLE forms. If you have not received this email or are having issues with this process, please reach out to our support team at 1-800-762-0121.
You can submit the New York State DOE at the following address:
The University of the State of New York
THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Office of Teaching Initiatives
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234
Each NYC P/A+ Credit course is for 36 hours/3 P/A+ Credits.
You may take up to 4 courses per semester.
You will receive a Pass/Fail grade. Pass means that you have successfully completed the course equivalent to a B or higher.
You must enroll with BOTH Advancement Courses and ASPDP (NYC DOE) via the links below before the registration deadline. Any participant who does not complete the enrollment process on both websites by the deadline will not be eligible for P/A+-credits. Please use the following links to enroll both with Advancement Courses and ASPDP:
You must complete the course by the last day of the semester.
Spring 2019 Semester
Registration: Jan. 14 - April 29, 2019
Semester: Feb. 4 - Jun. 7, 2019
Summer 2019 Semester
Registration: Jun. 3 - Aug. 12, 2019
Semester: Jun. 17 - Sept. 6, 2019
Fall 2019 Semester
Registration: Sept. 16 - Nov. 18, 2019
Semester: Sept. 23, 2019 - Jan. 17, 2020
Upon the completion of your course, your coursework will take 1-2 weeks to grade. Once you have been graded, you will be able to view your grade by logging into the ASPDP website. Please note that it will take an additional 8-10 weeks for ASPDP to process your grade. Once fully processed, a printable transcript will be available for download on the ASPDP website.
Pennsylvania Act 48 Hours
Beginning July 1, 2000, Act 48 requires persons holding Pennsylvania professional educator certification to complete continuing education requirements every five years in order to maintain their certificates in active status. Educators must earn six credits of collegiate study; or six credits of PDE-approved continuing professional education courses; or 180 hours of continuing professional education programs, activities or learning experiences through a PDE approved provider; or any combination of the above every five years to maintain active certification status. Each semester collegiate credit is equal to 30 continuing education hours.
Each course counts for 90 Act 48 hours
Advancement Courses (AUN 300000189) is pre-approved by the Pennsylvania Dept. of Education to provide Act 48 hours to PA teachers. PA teachers can select either the Graduate Credit or Continuing Education credit option to receive their Act 48 hours.
- Graduate Credit: Choose any of our CAEP and/or regionally accredited graduate credit partners when selecting a course and gain the semester hours of credit. Each (1) graduate credit also equals 30 Act 48 continuing education hours.
- Continuing Education: Select the Continuing Education and Act 48 hours options for any of the courses. Advancement Courses is a preapproved provider of Act 48 requirements. Please be advised, due to PA Act 48 requirements, the Activity Packet option is no longer available in this version of the course.
Upon the completion of your course, it will take 1-2 weeks to grade. If you select a university partner that provides graduate credit through Advancement Courses, you must have an official sealed transcript sent to:
Act 48 Transcripts, Division of Planning
Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street, 3rd Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333.
Have the university submit to PDE via the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The department will only accept transcripts received directly from these out-of-state higher education institutions.
If you select the Continuing Education credit through Advancement Courses, records are uploaded to PERMS bi-weekly on behalf of the teacher. The teachers PPID must be provided to Advancement Courses for this upload to be completed.
Professional development courses do not qualify for student loans or a loan deferment.
We do not send out 1098-T forms. Please keep your registration receipt for tax purposes.
I work in a professional capacity at a school, but not as a classroom teacher. Will your courses be applicable to someone who does not work with a whole class and write lesson plans?
Many of our special needs, social/emotional, and teacher wellness courses do not require lesson plans. If you select a course that has a lesson plan requirement, you can modify it and apply the assignment to your practice and create an individualized plan for students with whom you work (individual or small group).
All courses are designed for teachers in and out of the classroom, including during summer enrollment. If you are not actively working in a school or professional setting, you may work with an audience that is available to you, such as students in a volunteer setting or summer school environment, appropriate aged children whom you personally know, or same-age peers in a work or college-study setting to successfully complete coursework.