How can we make your day easier?
Frequently Asked Questions
Courses & Enrollment
We offer courses in multiple levels of rigor, including graduate courses and continuing education courses, to help K–12 educators reach their goals, including certification, state licensure, salary schedule/lane advancement, and other professional learning needs.
NOTE REGARDING LICENSURE: If you are a teacher already in the classroom needing to get your professional certificate, please be aware that each state and educational district has its own guidelines and rules. It is your responsibility to make sure that our courses legally fulfill your state’s requirements for professional certification.
Graduate Credit courses are offered in association with our seven CAEP and regionally accredited university partners: Andrews University, Avila University, Colorado Christian University, Concordia University – St. Paul, Greenville University, Medaille College, and Southern New Hampshire University. Loyola Marymount University offers graduate extension credit, while all other universities offer graduate credit through their school of education. Upon successful completion of a graduate credit course, learners will receive an official university transcript from their chosen partner.
For Continuing Education Credit:
- We offer clock/contact hours or CEUs in partnership with the University of West Alabama.
- Additionally, Advancement Courses is pre-approved by the respective state departments of education to provide:
Credit type should be chosen based on your professional needs and state/district requirements.
Graduate Credit courses are offered in association with our CAEP and regionally accredited university partners. Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive a letter grade and will be able to request and order a transcript (view sample transcript) directly from the partner institution of your choice. Each semester hour of graduate credit requires 15 hours of coursework.
Continuing Education courses are graduate-level courses offered to fulfill continuing education requirements. Because requirements differ by state and district, please select your state on our State Requirements page for more detailed information.
If you are uncertain, please be sure to verify that your credit selection will be approved by your governing body prior to registration. Tuition is non-refundable if your governing body does not approve your enrolled courses.
If you already hold a Master's Degree, but are seeking a pay advancement with our courses, we advise you select the Graduate Credit option.
For our pedagogy-focused courses, both Grad Credit and Continuing Education courses expect (a) collaboration and engagement in course discussions with peers and (b) in-practice application of course concepts. However, these elements are required in the Grad Credit courses to better align with higher education accreditation standards and the Carnegie Unit System. For more information, please view the course experience videos for Grad Credit and Continuing Education courses.
For content area graduate courses with an ENG course code, the course experience includes reading and writing assignments and engagement in discussions with peers. Professional practice is not a required component in these courses.
We recommend you review the types of credits, number of credits or courses allowed, and the semester dates per partner institution to determine which is best for your needs. For more information about the university partners, please visit our University Partners page.
Andrews University: These are graduate credits that can be petitioned into a degree program if the student decides to pursue higher education at Andrews University.
Avila University: These are graduate credits and are degree eligible as an approved elective for the online M.A. in Education in Curriculum & Instruction at Avila.
Colorado Christian University: These courses are graduate level and available on an official university transcript. Courses may be petitioned into a degree program if the learner decides to pursue higher education at CCU.
Concordia University, St. Paul: These are graduate credits and are degree eligible as an approved elective for the following M.A. in Education programs at CSP: Differentiated Instruction, Early Childhood Education, Educational Leadership and Educational Technology.
Greenville University: Pedagogy-based courses are graduate credit and are degree eligible as an approved elective for M.A. in Education programs at Greenville.
Content area courses (such as those with an ENG course code) are graduate level, and you can transfer up to 15 hours into a degree program (pending university approval).
Loyola Marymount University: These are graduate-level, professional development courses indicated as Continuing Education/Professional Development on University transcripts.
Medaille College: These are graduate credits and a university transcript is available upon completion of the course.
Southern New Hampshire University: These are graduate credits and a university transcript is available upon completion of the course.
It is recommended that you verify credit acceptance with any university at which you would like these credits to apply.
All of our graduate credit courses are offered for semester hours in accordance with our university partners.
Advancement Courses provides the option of taking continuing education credit courses for CEUs or Clock Hours through the University of West Alabama. While there is no difference in the course experience and these options hold equivalent value based on the instructional hours of the course, individual districts and state governing bodies may require a specific credit type be referenced on any transcript/completion certificate. Please check our State Requirements page or inquire within your district to see whether CEUs or Clock Hours would work best for you.
While we have helped thousands of educators across the country and in all 50 states, each school, district, and state governing body has its own set of rules regarding salary schedules, licensure and re-certification, so please seek approval prior to registering for a course to verify acceptance. Tuition is non-refundable if your governing body does not approve your enrolled courses.
Our courses are available for purchase online or by phone.
You can order any course directly through our website – 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
To enroll by phone, call us at (800) 762-0121 Monday-Friday from 8:00am – 4:30pm ET.
Based on your specific course, you will receive your course materials in the mail or electronically within 7 business days of enrollment.
You have six months from your enrollment/purchase date to complete your course unless you are taking NYC P/A+ Credit courses. Our courses are self-paced, so you may work on your coursework whenever it is convenient for you as long as you complete the entire course within six months.
* For NYC P/A+ Credit courses, please visit the NYC page for current semester end dates.
Each pedagogy-focused graduate-level credit is equivalent to 15 hours of in-class work and 30 in-practice hours.
- 1 credit: 15 hours + 30 in-practice hours
- 2 credits: 30 hours + 60 in-practice hours
- 3 credits: 45 hours + 90 in-practice hours
Each content area graduate course is equivalent to 45 hours of work per credit hour. See Syllabus for a detailed time breakdown.
As a reminder, our courses are self-paced, and you have up to 6 months to complete. Course completion time frames are based on the learner’s ability to invest the identified amount of time into the course, which includes direct instruction (online equivalent) and practice hours.
All Graduate Credit courses receive letter grades and a “B” or higher is necessary to receive credit. If your course deadline has passed and you have not submitted your work for review:
- Andrews University: Andrews does not record any courses that aren't completed. They will not show up on the transcript.
- Avila University: Avila does not record enrollments for Non-Complete Courses.
- Colorado Christian University: CCU does not record any courses that aren’t completed. They will not show up on the transcript.
- Greenville University: Greenville leaves the courses not completed marked as NR which stands for "Not Recorded."
- Loyola Marymount University: LMU records not completed courses as NC for "Not Completed."
- Medaille College: Medaille records not completed will be recorded as an "F."
For Continuing Education courses, grading is Pass/Fail. Pass means that you have successfully completed the course with a grade equivalent to a B or higher.
Learners can purchase from multiple institutions as long as they don’t exceed 15 credit hours per semester overall.
- Andrews University (located in Michigan)
- Up to 5 courses (any number of credits) may be graded in a semester. The semester is determined by the date your grade is recorded by Andrews University, which is usually 7-10 business days after receipt of your grade from Advancement Courses.
- Semester Dates:
Spring 2021: January 11 - May 16
Summer 2021: May 17 - August 29
Fall 2021: August 30 - December 9
- Avila University (located in Missouri)
- Learners may enroll in up to 6 credits per semester through Avila University. The semester is determined by purchase/enrollment date of your course.
- Semester Dates:
Spring 2021: January 25 - May 15
Summer 2021: May 16 - August 14
Fall 2021: August 15 - January 2, 2022
Spring 2022: January 3 - May 14
Summer 2022: May 15 - August 15
- Colorado Christian University (located in Colorado)
- No more than 15 credits may be submitted for evaluation and transcription in any given Colorado Christian University semester.
- Semester Dates:
Spring 2021: January 4 – April 25
Summer 2021: April 26 – August 22
Fall 2021: August 23 – December 19
- Concordia University, St. Paul (located in Minnesota)
- Learners may only complete up to 12 credits per semester. The semester is determined by the date your grade is recorded by Concordia University, St. Paul.
- Semester Dates:
Spring 2021: January 11 - May 9
Summer 2021: May 10 - August 27
Fall 2021: September 6 - December 22
- Greenville University (located in Illinois)
- Learners may enroll in up to 15 credits per semester through Greenville University. Transcripts will reflect the semester in which you enrolled into the course(s). Contact Advancement Courses for exception requests.
- Semester Dates:
Spring 2021: January 1 - May 9
Summer 2021: May 10 - August 22
Fall 2021: August 23 - December 31
- Loyola Marymount University (located in California)
- You may enroll in up to 15 credits per semester. The semester is determined by the purchase/enrollment date of your course.
- Semester Dates:
Spring 2021: January 1 - May 14
Summer 2021: May 15 - August 31
Fall 2021: September 1 - December 31
- Medaille College (located in New York)
- There is no limit to how many courses or credits you may enroll in or have graded at Medaille College.
- Semester Dates:
Spring 2021: January 19 - May 6
Summer 2021: May 17 - August 29
Fall 2021: August 30 - January 17, 2022
Spring 2022: January 18 - May 16
- Southern New Hampshire University (located in New Hampshire)
- Up to 19 credits may be graded in a semester. The semester is determined by the date your grade is recorded by Southern New Hampshire University, which is usually 7-10 business days after receipt of your grade from Advancement Courses.
- Semester Dates:
Spring 2021: January 3 - May 1
Summer 2021: May 2 - August 28
Fall 2021: August 30 - December 19
Payment & Fees
There are no additional fees at Advancement Courses! The course price includes credits, materials, and shipping.
We require full payment at the time of enrollment, so there is no option to pay later. If you have a Purchase Order from your school or district, please call us at (800) 762-0121 to receive instructions on how to complete the enrollment process.
Group discounts are available from Advancement Courses* in varying tiers, depending on the size of your group, as follows:
- Groups of 1-4 people can receive 15% off their next purchase with a one-time discount code.
- Groups of 5-9 people can receive 20% off their next purchase with a one-time discount code.
- Groups of 10+ people can receive 25% off their next purchase with a one-time discount code.
You can begin the Group Discount inquiry process by visiting our Group Discount page at https://www.advancementcourses.com/group-sales/ and filling out the form.
* Note: Group discounts are not available for NYC/ASPDP. Group discounts are not valid on prior purchases and cannot be combined with any other discounts. The discount is taken off each item in the order at the time of purchase and can be applied to multiple courses.
Exchanges, Drops, & Transfers
Courses may be exchanged for another with the same list price and credit amount. In the event of an exchange, the original start date ("date of the course order’) and end date (six (6) months from course order) will remain. The first exchange for each course can be processed without fees or charges as long as the credit types are the same. Additional exchanges for the same order are subject to a $30.00 exchange fee. Courses submitted for grading are not eligible for exchange.
If you are not satisfied with your course, you may request to drop the course up to 30 calendar days from the date you enrolled. All dropped courses are subject to a $30.00 fee. Courses submitted for grading cannot be dropped.
Graduate Credit or Continuing Education courses that have been (1) started, (2) submitted for grading, or (3) graded may be eligible for transfer between Advancement Courses University Partners, subject to University Partner approval. In order to be transfer eligible, the courses must contain the same list price and eligible credits. Course transfer requests for courses that have been started but not completed are eligible for transfer at no fee. All course transfer requests for courses that have been submitted for grading or have received a grade are subject to a $75.00 course transfer fee.
Note: Learners may transfer from a Continuing Education course to a Grad Credit course, but you will be required to pay the difference in price between the two courses as well as complete additional coursework to ensure all graduate credit requirements are met. If you have already submitted coursework in the Continuing Education course, you will be required to download all of your completed work prior to being enrolled in the Grad Credit course.
Completing & Submitting Your Course
You have six months from your enrollment/purchase date to complete your course. You can submit your coursework at any time before your enrollment expires. For NYC, you must complete the course by the last day of the semester. You can find semester dates here.
Why am I required to wait for feedback and a grade on certain assignments before I can progress in Grad Credit courses?
Since the culminating project of each course provides you a way to test your goals through a scaffolded summative assessment, it is vital to be provided feedback and to utilize that feedback along the way to refine your projects as you progress through the course. Advancement Courses wants to ensure you have been provided feedback and a grade on each checkpoint activity before you move on to submit the next one. We strive to get this to you as quickly as possible, but we also want to give your work the time and attention it deserves. You are still able to see the directions and rubrics of the future course assignments, as you compile feedback to inform improvements of your final project.
Your course is due 6 months from your purchase/enrollment date. Please refer to the order summary email you received to determine your purchase/enrollment date. For NYC, you must complete the course by the last day of the semester. You can find semester dates here.
If you need additional time, please call us in advance at (800) 762-0121 or email us at email@example.com to request a 1-month extension. Extensions are not available for NYC courses.
For pedagogy-focused courses, you may use either MLA or APA. As long as you maintain consistency in your formatting, you can choose the style with which you are most comfortable.
For content area courses (such as those with an ENG course code), MLA is required.
Grading & Transcripts
- You will finish and submit your coursework within the eClassroom.
- Allow approximately 3-7 business days to receive instructor feedback and grading (turnaround time may vary depending upon enrollment and time of year).
- You will receive a “Letter of Completion” email when your coursework has been graded. The letter of completion will contain detailed instructions on how to request your transcript or certificate from the partner you have chosen.
Depending on your credit choice, you’ll either receive a transcript/certificate of completion or request an official graduate transcript from the university partner you selected. Transcripts can take up to 10 business days to receive. If you have a deadline for submission, we encourage you to please complete and submit your coursework well in advance of your deadline to ensure that you will be able to order and receive your transcripts in time.
- Andrews University: Advancement Courses will submit your final grade to Andrews University within 5 business days of the grade date. Grades are recorded by the university registrar within 10 business days of receiving the grade from Advancement Courses. You will receive grade confirmation via email from Andrews University once the grade is recorded and ready for transcript requests. The grade confirmation email will contain the Student ID you will need to request your transcript. Please monitor your spam account if you have not received this email. Once recorded, you may request transcripts by submitting the request by following the instructions on this site: http://www.getmytranscript.com/.
- Avila University: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion with transcript request instructions. Within 5 business days of your grade date, we will send your grade to Avila University. Avila will input your grade into their system in 7-10 business days. Transcripts are ordered online through Avila’s Transcript Ordering Center (found here) or by fax or mail. Additional information and FAQs on Avila transcripts, consent forms, and fees can be found here.
- Colorado Christian University: Once a learner’s grade is recorded, CCU will send an email notification to the learner of the recent grade and that the transcript is available to be requested. Please monitor your spam account for this email. Transcripts can be requested by going to: https://www.ccu.edu/academics/transcripts/ and selecting “Advancement Courses Students” from the E-transcript ordering and delivery options. New users will need to create an account using your Student ID # (provided in CCU’s email notification of recent grade and transcript availability). Returning users may log in using your email address and password.
- Concordia University, St. Paul: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion with transcript request instructions. Within 5 business days of your grade date, we will send your grade to Concordia University, St. Paul. CSP will input your grade into their system in 7-10 business days. Transcripts are ordered online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Additional information and FAQs on CSP transcripts and processing details can be found here.
- Greenville University: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion and submit your grade to Greenville University. The University will then send a notification to you via email within 10 business days containing instructions on how to request your transcript. Transcripts are ordered through Greenville’s Transcripts Plus site (found here). If you have used Transcripts on Demand previously, use your existing email and password to login. New users will need to sign up for an account. Additional information and FAQs on Greenville transcripts, consent forms, and fees can be found here.
- Loyola Marymount University: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion with transcript request instructions. Within 5 business of your grade date, we will send your grade to LMU. LMU will input your grade into their system in 5-10 business days. You will need your University student ID located on your letter of completion to request your transcript. Follow the included instructions for the most current information on accessing your grade via the LMU student portal (PROWL) where you will be able to review your unofficial transcript and then request the official transcript. For more information, click here.
- Medaille College: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion with transcript request instructions. Within 5 business days of your grade date, we will send your grade to Medaille College. Medaille will input your grade into their system in 7-10 business days. Transcripts are ordered online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Additional information and FAQs on Medaille transcripts and processing details can be found here.
- Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU): Advancement Courses will submit your final grade to SNHU within 5 business days of the grade date. Grades are recorded by their university registrar within 5 business days of receiving the grade from Advancement Courses. You will receive grade confirmation via email from SNHU once the grade is recorded and ready for transcript requests. The grade confirmation email will contain instructions for accessing your Student ID and how to request your transcript. Please monitor your spam account if you have not received this email within 5 business days. If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call SNHU at (844) 282-4484. Once you receive your SNHU notification email, you may request your transcript at this website: https://www.credentials-inc.com/CGI-BIN/frontcgi.pgm?ALUMNI002580
- William Jessup University: Once your course has been graded, Advancement Courses will email you a letter of completion with transcript request instructions. Within 5 business days of your grade date, we will send your grade to William Jessup University. Jessup will input your grade into their system in 7-10 business days. Transcripts are ordered online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Additional information and FAQs on Jessup transcripts, consent forms, and fees can be found here.
NOTE: As of May 10, 2020, Advancement Courses is no longer offering credit in partnership with William Jessup University for new students, however transcripts continue to be available for those currently enrolled.
- University of West Alabama: Once your course is graded you will receive a letter of completion from Advancement Courses. Within 5 business days of your grade date, we will send your grade to the University of West Alabama. Upon receiving your grade, UWA will send a certificate of completion via email within 5 business days.
Alabama Clock Hours
Each course is 50 Clock Hours through the University of West Alabama.
You will receive a Pass/Fail grade. Pass means that you have successfully completed the course equivalent to a B or higher.
Upon the completion of your course, your coursework will take 3-7 business days to grade. You will receive an email confirming your completion at the end of those 7 days which will include your grade date. Within 1 week of this grade date your grade will be sent to the University of West Alabama.
For Alabama educators, The University of West Alabama will register you to receive Clock Hour credit in the state’s professional management system, PowerSchool, once your final grade is processed by the University. Please contact email@example.com if you have questions or concerns regarding this process.
New York State CTLE
Each course equals 45 CTLE Clock Hours.
Our NYC ASPDP courses are worth 36 clock hours.
Advancement Courses is an approved sponsor of the New York State Education Department’s 100 hours of Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE) requirements. New York teachers can select either the Graduate Credit or Continuing Education credit option to receive their CTLE clock hours.
- Graduate Credit: Choose any of our CAEP and/or regionally accredited graduate credit partners when selecting a course and gain the semester hours of credit. Each (1) graduate credit also equals 15 CTLE clock hours.
- Continuing Education: Select the Continuing Education and 45 CTLE hour options for any of our courses. Advancement Courses is a pre-approved provider of CTLE requirements.
Upon receiving your letter of completion, you will receive another email notification with the credentials to access all of your CTLE forms. If you have not received this email or are having issues with this process, please reach out to our support team at 1-800-762-0121.
You can submit the New York State DOE at the following address:
The University of the State of New York
THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Office of Teaching Initiatives
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234
Each NYC P/A+ Credit course is for 45 hours/3 P/A+ Credits.
You may take up to 4 courses per semester.
You will receive a Pass/Fail grade. Pass means that you have successfully completed the course equivalent to a B or higher.
You must enroll with BOTH Advancement Courses and ASPDP (NYC DOE) via the links below before the registration deadline. Any participant who does not complete the enrollment process on both websites by the deadline will not be eligible for P/A+-credits. Please use the following links to enroll both with Advancement Courses and ASPDP:
You must complete the course by the last day of the semester.
Summer 2021 Semester
Registration: May 31 - Aug. 16, 2021
Semester: Jun. 14 - Sept. 3, 2021
Fall 2021 Semester
Registration: Sept. 13 - Nov. 22, 2021
Semester: Sept. 27, 2021 - Jan. 14, 2022
Upon the completion of your course, your coursework will take 3-7 business days to grade. Once you have been graded, you will be able to view your grade by logging into the ASPDP website. Please note that it will take an additional 8-10 weeks for ASPDP to process your grade. Once fully processed, a printable transcript will be available for download on the ASPDP website.
Pennsylvania Act 48 Hours
Beginning July 1, 2000, Act 48 requires persons holding Pennsylvania professional educator certification to complete continuing education requirements every five years in order to maintain their certificates in active status. Educators must earn six credits of collegiate study; or six credits of PDE-approved continuing professional education courses; or 180 hours of continuing professional education programs, activities or learning experiences through a PDE approved provider; or any combination of the above every five years to maintain active certification status. Each semester collegiate credit is equal to 30 continuing education hours.
Each course counts for 90 Act 48 hours
Advancement Courses (AUN 300000189) is pre-approved by the Pennsylvania Dept. of Education to provide Act 48 hours to PA teachers. PA teachers can select either the Graduate Credit or Continuing Education credit option to receive their Act 48 hours.
- Graduate Credit: Choose any of our CAEP and/or regionally accredited graduate credit partners when selecting a course and gain the semester hours of credit. Each (1) graduate credit also equals 30 Act 48 continuing education hours.
- Continuing Education: Select the Continuing Education and Act 48 hours options for any of the courses. Advancement Courses is a preapproved provider of Act 48 requirements. Please be advised, due to PA Act 48 requirements, the Activity Packet option is no longer available in this version of the course.
Upon the completion of your course, it will take 3-7 business days to grade. If you select a university partner that provides graduate credit through Advancement Courses, you must have an official sealed transcript sent to:
Act 48 Transcripts, Division of Planning
Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street, 3rd Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333.
Have the university submit to PDE via the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The department will only accept transcripts received directly from these out-of-state higher education institutions.
If you select the Continuing Education credit through Advancement Courses, records are uploaded to PERMS bi-weekly on behalf of the teacher. The teachers PPID must be provided to Advancement Courses for this upload to be completed.
Professional development courses do not qualify for student loans or a loan deferment.
We do not send out 1098-T forms. Please keep your registration receipt for tax purposes.
I work in a professional capacity at a school, but not as a classroom teacher. Will your courses be applicable to someone who does not work with a whole class and write lesson plans?
Many of our special needs, social/emotional, and teacher wellness courses do not require lesson plans. If you select a course that has a lesson plan requirement, you can modify it and apply the assignment to your practice and create an individualized plan for students with whom you work (individual or small group).
All courses are designed for teachers in and out of the classroom, including during summer enrollment. If you are not actively working in a school or professional setting, you may work with an audience that is available to you, such as students in a volunteer setting or summer school environment, appropriate aged children whom you personally know, or same-age peers in a work or college-study setting to successfully complete coursework.
Our customer service staff is fully work from home and able to provide assistance during our standard business hours. Our facilitators are here to help with any questions you may have, as well as assist you in determining any new courses that may help to build your repertoire in these challenging times. Our partner Universities are all fully functional. Transcripts are able to be ordered and obtained upon course completion following our usual timeframe. You can find more details and the most up to date info here.